Monday, December 13, 2010

JUST KEEP SWIMMING

Have I told you about my baby? 
A few days ago I was lucky enough to become his adopted mother.
In his mind, he looks like this:



But in real life, he looks like this:




Naming him was a challenge. It was very much like naming a child.
Names are important!
They carry a great deal of meaning.

When you name a child, there are many things to consider. Names of ex-boyfriends, celebrities with bad reputations, bratty children already in your life, and certain family members are out of the question. Names that rhyme with swear words are not an option. Names that bear heavy associations should be carefully considered. For example, its a bad idea to name your kid Santa, Ginger, or Hitler. Names that destine the child for mocking are cruel and should be eliminated. I met a child named Alone the other day. Really?? Names that have six ways of pronouncing them (bre-ANNA, bre-AWNA...lets call the whole thing off) are off limits. In the Bible, names give you a clue into the person's whole character. Names are clearly significant to God.

I know in my heart it was no accident that I was named Hannah. Hannah is a Hebrew name that means "GRACE". My life is a testimony of God's grace. Grace has saved me, shaped me, and now sustains me. Before my encounter with God, I didn't like my name. I didn't think it sounded very pretty when you said it and I wanted to go by my middle name Elizabeth. But my name means so much to me now when I realize that the Lord gave it to me to remind me of all that he has done and will do for me. And ironically, Elizabeth means "CONSECRATED TO GOD".
There was just no escaping it...
=]

When it came to naming my baby, I knew that I had to pick something significant. I originally named him "Sushi" but he didn't really care for it too much.
To be honest, after I thought about it, I didn't care for it too much either. I wanted to name him something special; something that would mean more then his inevitable fate.
(I didn't exactly tell my mom before I brought him home and she keeps threatening to eat him)

Then the perfect name came to me.
The morning before he came into my life, I read Hebrews 1:14 which says:
"Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?"

Gabriel it is.
To remind me and encourage me.

Plus, perhaps bearing an angel's name will extend his life...
I don't think my mom was joking about eating him.

No comments:

Post a Comment