Tuesday, September 27, 2011

DRAW ME CLOSE TO YOU

The only thing I fear more than distance from God is intimacy with God.

When the people saw the thunder and lightning and heard the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled with fear.
They stayed at a distance and said to Moses, "Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die."
Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning."
The people remained at a distance, while Moses approached the thick darkness where God was.
Exodus 20:18-21

All my life, at my request, "Moses" (also known as - pastors, teachers, books, worship music, etc...) has come between God and myself. You go to the Lord and I'll listen to what you have to say. You break through the barrier and tell me what you've seen. I'll memorize what you have to say about it and attempt to conjure up the same feelings. I'll stay here. You step out in faith. 

I've feared the "thick darkness where God was" too much to attempt approaching it for myself. I've now come to realize the result is my relationship with the Lord is dictated by what others have experienced.

What is the bible? It's letters and accounts of brave soul's encounters with the Lord. Call me crazy, but I think it's still being written...

Maybe it's time to taste and see for myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment