Wednesday, February 9, 2011

WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE?

Oh my goodness, I just turned my head to look out the window and I saw my sister's boyfriend walking to our front door with flowers in his hand. I assume they're for her. This would be embarrassing if they weren't. (For them, not for me.) Aw, that is so sweet. Also ugh! That reminds me... Valentines Day is coming. I hate Valentines Day. No pressure, honey! Its just if you don't buy me some cheap chocolate in a fancy box and some antacid hearts to counteract eating all of it in one sitting then you don't really love me. Oh, also... please buy a poem or some nice thoughts that someone else wrote and sign your name to it. Lovely. 

Great story. I was hanging out with a couple of guys the other day when one of them opened a pamphlet in the mail full of ideas for Valentines Day. One of them was a gift card for flowers. Yes, you heard me right. A gift card for flowers. You might as well get your significant other a gift card to buy themselves a card, or another gift card, or another significant other because you suck. Way to remove all the thought behind the gift! This useless little book was most definitely put together by single men. 

I admit it! Yes, it's possible I'm scarred from previous Valentines Day experiences. Once when I was twelve, the boy I liked told me I could be his valentine. (Yes, you heard me right. But hey, we were twelve.) And he bought my lunch and a movie ticket. (BIG deal! We were twelve.) Then I found out he told another girl she could be his valentine too. Sigh... I never fully recovered. =] (After all, I was only twelve)

My girlfriends and I are looking forward to this Valentines Day being different. A dinner party planned by the men sounds amazing and we are most definitely looking forward to it! However, we have declared "Galintines Day" this weekend. We are going to Justin Bieber's movie. Yes. We are going to make t-shirts, elbow all the thirteen year olds out of the way, and be first in line opening day. I know you say hate Justin Bieber. I know you say he sounds like a girl. I know you say you would never watch his movie. But you know what I say to you?.... NEVER. SAY. NEEEEVVVEEERR!!!! 

In all seriousness, the worst thing about Valentines Day is it's such a contradiction! Love is supposed to be selfless. But if I buy someone something because I'm a jerk if I don't then it's still all about me. You know what would be a wonderful day to buy me flowers? March 12. Why? Because it's a random day you decided to brighten. That's romance, baby.

You know who I want to date? David. He was a sexy man of God. The women in my Bible study last week judged me for that comment, but it's true. (1 Samuel 17:42 says he glowed with health and was handsome) Honestly, what draws me to David is when I get an inside look on the very real relationship he had with the Lord. He pleased God so much that throughout the rest of recorded history God blessed his descendants. Imagine that. Imagine being so precious to the Lord that not only does God bless you, he also refrains from wiping out your wicked family because he told you He wouldn't. Dang.

I don't think finding a "David" would make Valentines Day any better. But I tell you what... all the romance in the air has got me thinking about Mr. Right.
And for the sake of this blog, I decided to take all the things I personally value and put together a list. Men, take some notes...
; )

1. He has to love God because he wants to love God. I think it's wonderful when other people or circumstances influence a man's walk with the Lord. I absolutely do. But I have to see the evidence of a decision to love the Lord because he has gotten to know Him and genuinely wants to. That's where the passion comes from.

2. He has to take initiative. If a man never puts himself out there to be rejected, then he puts the responsibility of keeping his heart from being broken on the girl who suspects his feelings for her. That is not being a man. I know it's hard, but you have to take the risk. She will respect you and admire you even if she doesn't feel the same way.

3. He has to be going somewhere. No, this doesn't mean you have to have everything figured out. You don't have to have a perfect job or have already decided on your major for college. You just need to be moving a direction. Do something.

4. He has to like conversation. Men talk less then women. That's fine. That's why we have other women. But you have to have a connection through good, quality conversation and you have to like it.

5. He has to WANT to know my faults. Yes, I really mean what I just typed. Hear me out. Too many times I have seen a man fall convinced she is always sweet, her make-up never smears, and she always thinks he is the funniest thing on the planet. Men, if you can't think of any shortcomings then you don't know the real her. If you don't know the real her, then what do you actually love?

6. He has to be at least a little bit romantic. No, I don't mean buying cheap chocolate on Valentines Day. I had to repeat that in case you spaced during the beginning of this post. I mean playing with her hair or giving specific compliments. All of the best compliments I have ever gotten were specific. Such as telling me I have pretty hands or nice earlobes. (Yes, that last one is weird...but I just really like my earlobes.)

You know... I'll be totally real with you. There are few things women cherish more than those moments when they know they're desirable. I'm talking about when she walks into a room and she sees you pause and she knows you think she looks amazing, or when you drives twenty minutes to spend half an hour with her, or when you simply can't resist looking at her even though it makes her completely uncomfortable. Those things count.

7. He has to love his mom (and sisters if he has them). Yes, I know you have probably heard this before. But over my years of observing the opposite sex, the more I realize how much this counts. How you treat your mom is how you will treat the future woman in your life. Treat your mama well.

And finally...

8. He has to tell me to take my list, stick it in a juice box, and suck it! Because he's a MAN. 







Good luck.  

1 comment:

  1. Yea I agree with you about Valentine's Day. It's pretty lame. If you're gonna show someone you love them, you've gotta do it everyday. My sister asked me what my Valentine's Day plans were and I said nothing because it's a dumb holiday. Plus we don't get a day off so it doesn't count as a holiday (this is a joke). I also remember about the gift card for flowers. LOL fail! Haha. As for your list, my favorite ones are number 1 because it has to be true for everybody, and number 8 because it's just so awesome and such a YOU answer. Haha.

    ReplyDelete