Friday, March 4, 2011

YOU'RE MY BETTER HALF

I am the mistress of my domain. I am also a helper/completer. I am also sure most of my readers have no idea what the heck I am talking about. I'll explain.

I have been doing a bible study on femininity. Fem-in-in-in-ity. Fem-in-nine-in-ity. Fem-in-in...
The course is an in-depth study on the five aspects of womanhood. The first aspect is mistress of the domain. I am the mistress of my domain. This is often said with four finger snaps in a "Z" formation. Well, at least it is when I discuss it with my girlfriends. In short, it means that God has given me a domain and I have been given not only the responsibility, but also the privilege, of ruling, subduing, and producing in my domain. This aspect was... in short... kickin'. And that's a good thing.

The second aspect is helper/completer. I am a helper/completer. "Z" snap! This aspect is my frienemy. I love the core truths found in this part of my femininity, but doing the lessons made me feel pretty crappy. Not literally. Don't be gross. It just made me feel super lonely and a little depressed. Not quite to the point where I was on a peanut butter and bacon diet to eat away my sad feelings (talk about feeling crappy...) (apparently I'm a twelve year old boy in this post) (am I allowed to use two) (or three) of (these) in a row?) but definitely (I always have to spell check that word) at the point where having to mark the single box when filing my taxes made me punch my computer screen (no, not really) (now I'm just out of control).

This week is the last of the four weeks we are going to spend studying the helper/completer aspect. Sadly, I am scheduled to work during our final meeting and I can't get out of it because there's a mandatory employee meeting. So, I decided to blog it out. It's actually pretty awesome because should any of the ladies who go to the bible study with me decide to read this blog, they can't even say anything I say is wrong because it's my blog therefore everything I say is right! No. They have never said anything I say is wrong... but there is always a first time and that first time won't be this week! Ha.

I slept for three hours last night. Could explain why this blog is so... sassy...

Helper/completer! I am uber bummed I am missing wrap-up week this week ladies because I actually had something clever to share for the first question! Oh yeah, if your a reader who isn't in Bible study with me and you haven't mentally checked out yet even though this blog isn't really written about you or for you, I will explain the first question. During wrap-up week, the lesson asks you to summarize what the lessons meant to you in a clever way. Bless the author! She assumes we're clever...

Last time I didn't come up with anything except a twelve minute progressive dance expressing each truth. But it was simply too scandalous for bible study... so...
This time, I wrote a song! Ok, no I didn't. But I thought  of a song that had already been written applied really well. So its pretty much the same.

Consider this my clever, artistic, mind-blowing, wrap-up for this aspect.

They say behind every man is a good woman
But I think that's a lie
'Cause when it comes to you I'd rather have you by my side
You don't know how much I count on you to help me win
When I've given everything I got and I just feel like giving in
And you look at me
And give me that come-here-baby smile
It's all gonna be alright
You take my hand
Yeah you pull me close and you hold me tight


Oh baby, it's the sweet love that you give to me
That makes me believe we can make it through anything
'Cause when it all comes down
And I'm feeling like I'll never last
I just lean on you 'cause baby
You're my better half


Thank you Keith Urban. You're a sexy man of God.
(Probably. Maybe... )

You can't discuss being a helper/completer without discussing biblical submission. Wives, submit to your husbands. It's a struggle. It really is. The more women I talk to, the more I see how deeply this issue affects us. Maybe someday I can take the time to really go in-depth to write about this issue. But not now... like I said, three hours of sleep. I'll just say, what I loved about this study was we discussed embracing our roles as a blessing instead of rebelling against them. And while we were discussing this, a story came to mind.

Jenny Schmidt never wears her hair up. I have seen it up one time, on a boat at Clear Lake on a windy day. A couple years ago, I remember asking her why she never wore her hair up. She said because her husband didn't care for it that way. She said he never made her feel bad about it but it just wasn't his favorite. So she wears her hair down. I remember thinking, and I believe saying out loud:
"That is crazy. My husband can just forget about it if he thinks I am going to take the time to do that for him every day."
But every time I talk with women about what being a good wife involves, I think of that story. You know why it's beautiful to me? Because she embraces doing it for him. I wonder if he knows...

And finally ladies, just know. When it comes to the example of helper/completers in movies - Mrs Incredible was my idea! Mom stole it.

Love you lots! Wish I could be there...


2 comments:

  1. H...you are going to make some man extremely blessed some day when the Lord brings together. I am looking forward to it <3

    ReplyDelete