Monday, February 28, 2011

RTWH #4

Have you ever done, said, or thought something wrong your entire life only to find out (much too late to avoid being embarrassed) the correct way later?
No, just me? Ok, cool. 

I was fifteen by the time I realized all the characters of Winnie the Pooh were named after the animals they were except Eeyore, Christopher, and now the Heffalump. Weird. I think Kanga and little Roo should have given it away for me but strangely... they did not. 

I have been pronouncing...
avocado - "Ah-VUL-caw-doe"  and 
athlete - "Ath-uh-lete" (its not "dah-cure-e" either)
...wrong my entire life! 

And the latest discovery!
Its turns out its not "Ex-press-o" its "Ess-press-o". Oh. 

But the worst by far is a few months ago, I went to a Sharks game for the first time. It was a lot of pressure! I was having a hard time making the right noise at the right time. Part of this was because my reaction time is half the speed of smell. Added to that I have a terrible memory. After "oooing" when I should have been "awwwing" the fifth time, I started to get a little embarrassed so I turned to the lady next to me and gave her a plausible reason. I don't know that much about hockey... I'm from Canada. 
Turns out hockey is a really big deal in Canada.
Oh yes, did I mention it was Joe Thorton's wife? 

No comments:

Post a Comment