Friday, February 25, 2011

LIVE LIKE YOU WERE DYING

If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, how would you spend your last day? 

I'd say odds are good you've pondered this question before. It's intriguing to me the most common response is the expressed desire to travel somewhere you've always wanted to go. A dream proven as shallow as a kiddie pool by the fact nothing really, truly holds us back from actually going. Often the question will float around for a short time, leaving a less then remarkable impact, until the nearest distraction makes its grand debut. I think there are two reasons the worn out question so often makes such a short impression. First, the reason dreams are dreams is because we never actually intend to do them. And second, we don't truly grasp the reality of life possibly ending tomorrow.
Here is a harder question: 

If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, what would you decide to say out loud?

I pondered this question today. My heart and soul sank, melting like hot wax, when I knew without a moment's doubt exactly what I would say and who I would say it to if I lived my life with the realization that in a blink it could no longer matter.

Regret.

Is it worse to regret what you've done or what you should have done?
Is there a really a point when it's too late or is that point simply the caution tape marking off our comfort zone? What if I just... said it?

1 comment:

  1. Probably depends on what "it" is? Either way, I'll be waiting to hear what you decide :)

    ReplyDelete